So, the final module of my MA in Online Journalism with BCU is called the MA by Practice and it’s worth a whopping 60 points so I need to do this justice. I’ll be working on it part-time over two semesters on top of my 31-hour work week, two small children, a husband, a dog, netball matches, some semblance of a social life and a partridge in a pear tree.
My motivation? Graduation is next summer, it’s so close I can almost feel it and I really, really want it. I don’t have a degree so didn’t get to experience graduation in my 20s; this will be a real prize for me, graduating at the grand old age of 37 and being a role model for my children who will get to see me cross the stage. I’d always told myself that scraping through this thing would be enough for me but, actually, after getting some decent marks I want to give this my best shot.
So, what am I working on now? Entitled #InstaMA I’m working on a pilot project on The Open University’s Instagram account (and if you don’t follow it, PLEASE do it in the name of education!)
I work in content and social media at the university and am using my study time to develop the OU’s Instagram channel. The project will be defined by these stages:
- Research (initial and ongoing)
- Pilot project: eight weeks of throwing up content to see what works and what doesn’t
- Review (ongoing and post-pilot)
- Reporting and analysis: once the pilot is over I’ll draw some conclusions, make some recommendations and draw up a 2017 strategy for the OU’s Instagram account going forwards
- Write a book: I’ll then take all this knowledge, dice, it slice it and throw in some humour then wrap it all up in the form of a published eBook
- Submission: I’ll then submit this along with a report and hope to God I pass with flying colours.
Sounds simple? Well, actually, that’s a lot of hard work. But I’m on it, and thoroughly enjoying it. With that said, I may need an Instagram sabbatical by the end of it, I’m starting to dream in square photos!
More academic/problem-solving coming soon…
PS If you have any info on Instagram – tips, tricks, hacks, research papers, experience, photo apps etc, I would LOVE to hear them. You can tweet me at @robynbateman or leave a comment. Thanks.